Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12 important questions and answers before considering vaccination

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 22:01:26 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/30/2021 8:41 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 18:57:17 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/30/2021 11:14 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

For the electric car users there should be some kind of tax. Maybe per
mile,or maybe some way to tax by the electricity that is being used in
the car. Either way would be easy to impliment with the electronics
that is already in the cars.
What I don't want to see is an added milage tax on the fuel cars use
unless the tax per gallon is removed.

You have to look at all the factors.

Do we need to spend money on infrastructure? Yes.
How much to we spend? Probably never get full agreement on.
that.

How do we get the money? Gas tax has been a simple way for years, but
with electric cars, that does not work.

Potential solutions:
Annual tax on electric cars, flat fee. Probably unfair to many
Per mile tax. Most fair, Pay actual use.

If we put in a system to collect from electric cars do we extend it to
gas cars?
Should be determined by the cost and efficiency of the measuring and
collection cost.

If ICE cars pay by mile it would be fair to eliminate the present per
gallon tax.

My share last year was about $65. Not much in the scheme of things so I
won't go broke if it is increased 25%.

Figure what you pay. Total miles divided by your average MPG X .184.

The easy way to tax EVs is at the source, just like regular cars.
Meter the charger. These days with electronic metering that is not
that hard to do. The actual cost of adding the RF metering hardware
into a charger is a few bucks. Let the PoCo collect the tax just like
we have been having the oil companies do for decades.
It is just not politically possible. The greenies want EVs to get away
without paying taxes, they want the tax payer to pay them. A lot of
places let you charge your car for free.
It is welfare for the rich like most "green" stuff.

You are assuming the charger is being used. I can bypass that metered
charger with a few feet of #10 AWG.

Easy to do with public chargers but there are many existing home
chargers. Do you think people will take them to be retrofitted?

When my daughter's car was in the shop they gave her a Bolt as a loaner.
Took longer but just a 120V extension cord charged it.

Maybe if you put something in the car itself it would register.

Agree on the welfare for the rich.

I was thinking more about the fast chargers, some of which could
almost justify their own service. There are plenty of homes that do
not have an extra 50 amps. I had to bump up my service for a spa.
I had to do a legal calculation loophole to get by with what I had
(200a) when I put on the addition.
A charger would put me over using either calculation method.

Of course if you want to steal or cheat on your taxes, there is always
a way.