Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Right to a fence?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Depends on your deeds and local conventions. Lawyers love these things, in
the end its often cheaper to take six inches off your land and build your
own fence then if they damage that its criminal damage.

Not if its accidental.

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Seems unlikely - but I have a good fence to the end and left that I own
and
maintain. The property to most of the right is also well maintained by
the
neighbour.
But the far end 6- 8 feet is another property and today that part was
bending in sympathy with the child bouncing on the trampoline. I politely
pointed out that it would soon break if something wasn't changed.

I got a bit of abuse - and was told it was not my fence!

Agreed - but if it falls then do I have any reasonable entitment to
require
it to be replaced for my privacy and security?