Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Electrocution

My mum was doing the washing in the 60's using a hotpoint
twin tub and she dropped the plug into the water, then
fished it out and plugged it in with the same wet soapy
hand used to fish it out of the washer, and flew across
the kitchen.

Andrew

On 30/03/2021 17:00, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
You probably have several phases of the mains in a block of flats, or some
idiot has done something strange in the earthing or both.

I noticed that in my kitchen in the 70s there was 80 volts between the earth
of the washing machine and the sink, but you could not feel anything other
than a tingle. The water it turned out was being supplied via flexible hoses
to the sink and the waste was all plastic. One bit of wire back to the
copper and no more problems. The question was what were we measuring?
Brian