Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

Ah yes the storage abilities of a coil. Very interesting stuff that.
Was not how a magneto worked?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 30/03/2021 15:05, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:32:04 +0100, soup wrote:

Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

About 50 years ago a work colleague was trying to connect an early
consumer tape recorder to a telephone handset plugge into an old
fashioned GPO telephone switchboard to see if he could record
conversations. When I moved a switch on the board I unwittingly put
40v into his tongue, which he was using to hold the connecting wires
in place. He gave up with his experiment.

I got my first serious shock - we had an electric heater that always
'tingled' - from a 12v train transformer used to drive a train set. I was
using it to drive an overhead live rail train I had made out of Meccano
with the super big Meccano electric motor in it.
It wouldn't go - it sat there buzzing so I calculated the overhead rail
needed to be lifted a bit ...so I grabbed the train and lifted the
overhead rail with my other hand..and broke the circuit between motor and
transformer...

YEOWCH!! I hadn't even begun to study electricity and had no idea such a
thing as inductance existed. I thought 12V was 'safe'

I was only about 8 or 9 I think