Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

We don't have them in thishouse either but I do have a plug in one I use if
I'm using gear outside.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 12:04:37 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:

Keith Relf formerly of the Yardbirds was killed in an electrocution at
his home

Dodgy guitar/amp wiring is traditional, isn't it?

https://www.ranker.com/list/musician...stage/jessica-
defino

though I don't think jessica knows what electrocuted means

The English language really does need another word to mean "received a
serious *but non-fatal* electric shock". Maybe we should avoid being King
Canutes, and accept that people will use "electrocuted" for the non-fatal
meaning, and devise a new wording such as "electrocuted to death".

When I was rehearsing and playing live I made damn sure I had an RCD trip
on my amplifier. Back in the mid 80s no one knew why.

I don't remember RCD devices (plug and socket) being around in the 1980s.
I can remember mains spike filters, but not RCD. That shows how little
prominence they had 40 years ago.

When did the fitting of RCDs on new house installations become part of
building regs? My first house, built in 1985, didn't have one - and
surprisingly it had wire fuses rather than MCB current-operated trip
switches. So evidently mandatory RCDs was after that. My second house,
built in 2000, had RCD and MCBs. As usual, only one RCD for the whole
house, rather than one per ring main, so a faulty appliance (or a finger
on a live terminal) took out the whole house, not just one ring.