Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

Yes, there have even been live wires found buried in walls from a previous
occupants messing about, and also in one particular case a live bit of metal
which was not isolated even turning off the main switch, turned out to have
come from next door!

The people who made Meccano imported a clone of Scalextric from Franc many
years ago, It ran the cars on Ac, and a variable resistor in series with the
low voltage side of a mains transformer. They had to recall a lot of them as
they could overheat and go short to mains. Not very good, I wondered if it
had something to do with the average mains in France been 20 v less than
ours, but if so its a very poor margin of safety.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

On 2021-03-30, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:32:04 +0100, soup wrote:

Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually
happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

Well didn't an MPs daughter die of a 240V shock in a domestic incident
?

And Keith Relf formerly of the Yardbirds was killed in an electrocution
at his home (so presumably 240V).

When I was at Uni a lecturer mentioned checking out a neighbours cooker
that was "buzzy" when you touched it. He found there was no earth and
600V potential between it and the sink ...

OK, you've got my curiosity --- how do you get a 600 V difference inside
one house?

I have no idea exactly. We were discussing "earths" and the fact that
your earth and my earth may not be the same. Isn't that why there's earth
bonding everywhere ?

It was thanks to this lecturer that I always factor a sudden loss of
power and services into a building that can last a day into my BCP/DR
planning. "Murphy and his jackhammer" were a recurring theme ...