Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

You probably have several phases of the mains in a block of flats, or some
idiot has done something strange in the earthing or both.

I noticed that in my kitchen in the 70s there was 80 volts between the earth
of the washing machine and the sink, but you could not feel anything other
than a tingle. The water it turned out was being supplied via flexible hoses
to the sink and the waste was all plastic. One bit of wire back to the
copper and no more problems. The question was what were we measuring?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 2021-03-30, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:32:04 +0100, soup wrote:

Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

Well didn't an MPs daughter die of a 240V shock in a domestic incident ?

And Keith Relf formerly of the Yardbirds was killed in an electrocution
at his home (so presumably 240V).

When I was at Uni a lecturer mentioned checking out a neighbours cooker
that was "buzzy" when you touched it. He found there was no earth and
600V potential between it and the sink ...

OK, you've got my curiosity --- how do you get a 600 V difference
inside one house?