Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo[_3_] Theo[_3_] is offline

Default Electrocution

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2021-03-30, Jethro_uk wrote:
When I was at Uni a lecturer mentioned checking out a neighbours cooker
that was "buzzy" when you touched it. He found there was no earth and
600V potential between it and the sink ...

OK, you've got my curiosity --- how do you get a 600 V difference
inside one house?

I can manage 415v. Next door is TNCS (earth connected to neutral) but has a
break in their neutral, so when they turn the cooker on the earth becomes
live with phase L1.

You and your neighbour share a water pipe. Through your neighbour's earth
bonding, the water pipe is now live with their phase L1. The water pipe
doesn't have good conduction to earth potential (during a drought, say).

You're on a different phase L2, and so a fault on your cooker exposes live
parts at L2. The sink is joined to the water pipe at potential of L1, and
so there's 415v between cooker and sink. You don't have (good) earth
bonding.

I could get to 586v if it was being rectified and smoothed. I doubt it was
though

Theo