Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

Well, I'd become used to them by the age of 16, after all I had a father in
the tv business, and none of our tvs had a back.

Obviously, I was protected when I knew no better but following the rules
then I feel you do become immune to some extent over time.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"NY" wrote in message
"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Well the key is where you take the shock. It only takes a surprisingly
small current across the chest to kill you merely by stopping your heart,
that is why the one hand in your pocket advice is so useful.
Lots of us have had shocks, mine were usually thru the fingers of the
same hand when delving inside a working piece of valve gear that had
series fed heaters across the mains.

Ah, the perils of series-fed Christmas tree lights or valve heaters. When
all are working, you get the regulation 6 V across each one, but if one
fails and you remove it, there is near-enough the full mains voltage at
the socket (since the body resistance is so much greater than the filament
resistances).

Yes you get some expletives but not much else. The buzzing bruised
feeling soon passes.

With my two mains shocks it took about 48 hours before the residual
tingling had gone.