Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Five myths about poverty

On 3/29/21 10:22 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/29/2021 08:25 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
In the early 70's, I used to frequently travel to Chicago on business.
It wasn't much of a culture shock to me though as I was based in Detroit
at the time.

I drove up to the Detroit area for the Ford museums. I like Greek food
so I had supper in Greektown. I walked around afterwards down past the
RenCen, which I think was empty, and along the river. The helos flying
overheard with searchlights added to the ambiance.

In the early 70's, Coleman Young, had just been elected Detroit's first
black mayor- thouigh any real administrative/management experience.

I was working in the Detroit office of one of the world's largest
international professional services firms back then. In a civic-minded
gesture, the office managing partner offered the services of the firm's
highly regarded municipal government consulting group pro bono to help
Young make the transition to executive life.

A few of us from the firm went over to city hall to meet with hizzoner
to discuss how we could help him. Amazingly, he immediately ended the
meeting and dismissed us- and the offer of free help- because there were
no black folks in our delegation!

--
There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men.