Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] is offline

Default Electrocution

soup explained :
Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck, bad
judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually happen and
how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position whimpering
and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling goes away.

I've had many shocks, it usually doesn't much bother me, except for
once when I genuiningly was thrown across a room, a flooded banking
hall.

I was the key holder. It was raining heavily, I was wet through as I
walked in, alone. Carpet soaked, several feet of water in the basement,
water dripping from the ceiling, several dehumidifier and fans in use,
for safety all individually powered via RCD's - all set up by me. I had
written a large notice, which I placed at the RCD's, saying everything
had to be powered via an RCD - no exceptions.

Unknown to me, an unskilled trainee had been there the previous day and
one of the dehumidifier (industrial sized, metal cased) was tripping
its RCD, the stupid bugger wrongly assumed the RCD was at fault,
ignored the notice and bypassed it. The dehumidifier casing was
actually live, putting everyone at risk who went in the banking hall.

The company denied any responsibility, refused to investigate,
basically called me a liar. I had gone in alone, there were no
witnesses, luckily I only had a few bruises - so easy for them to deny
it happened.

You can do your best to make things fool proof, but somebody is bound
to invent an even bigger fool.