Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Arthur[_2_] Clive Arthur[_2_] is offline

Default Electrocution

On 29/03/2021 23:32, soup wrote:
Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Â*Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

I looked into this a few years ago when I drew the short straw and had
to conduct some staff training about electrical safety.

Very approximately, 30 people per year die in the UK from electric
shock. Nearly all of those are from digging up cables or contacting
overhead cables. In other words, very few from the domestic mains.

Figures for the number of indirect deaths - eg falling off the ladder
due to a shock - were not available, or at least not easily, and I
didn't care that much anyway. The small, innovative company had just
been bought by GE and I wasn't hanging about to be tapped in a world of
online training courses and wearing Kevlar gloves to use a scalpel.

--
Cheers
Clive