Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrocution

Yes that would certainly do it. I am very sensitive to that electrostatic
buzz you get when you touch double insulated gear that is still live, so am
very wary. Luckily these days I do not attempt to wire up mains gear as I
cannot see the colours of wires any more.
As an aside there are a couple of forms of shock you do not want, unless you
have masochistic tendencies.1. On some navel ships the supply is 440 volts
at 300Hz.

No matter where you catch that kind of shock it bleedin well hurts and
often you seemingly cannot let go. To be avoided at all costs.
2 RF burning. When I was still young I got a burn across my palm from a ham
radio aerial in my garden. . It first started to feel like an itch then
pure pain, I let go very quick but not fast enough to stop a burn that took
some weeks to heal properly. So effectively microwaving your palm is not
advisable!

People get shocks all the time of course, but mostly its what we call
static, caused by the imbalance of ions plus and negative that can occur
merely with friction between materials, whether they be clothing carpets
seating or for air rushing down a vacuum cleaner pipe. I did when I was
younger 'borrow' a high impedance voltage probe and some people could get
charged up with over 20,000 volts in just a few seconds. Luckily its got no
current behind it on discharge so the worst you get is a crack a spark, and
a tiny pin point burn on your finger.
Talking of real life sad cases though, the daughter of an MP had just had a
new kitchen fitted and was trying to get something out of a cupboard and
touched a securing screw with one hand while steadying herself on the
washing machine with the other. She was killed instantly and the kitchen
fitter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. He had basically joined a
number of wires up inside a wall cavity, and not filled in the hole merely
screwed the cabinet over the top, One of the screws in the back had just
caught a live wire and was thus live and the washing machine was earthed.
The report did not go into too many details, but apparently she was alone
her heart stopped and she fell off her kickstep and hit her head on some
appliance.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"jon" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:32:04 +0100, soup wrote:

Many have had a 'belt' from domestic 240Volt wiring through bad luck,
bad judgment or plain stupidity .
Whilst a shock from 240V CAN kill how often does that actually happen
and how many just get thrown across the room into a foetal position
whimpering and crying until the arm unknots and the tingling feeling
goes away.

I was sitting on a quarry tiled kitchen floor connecting up a cooker. My
understanding was the the supply was isolated, that quickly got revised
when I tried to strip off the insulation of a live 10mm2 feed with
uninsulated side cutters.