Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default fog lights

Chris J Dixon wrote:
NY wrote:

Symbols are fine - and they are language-independent, but there is an extra
stage where your brain has to work out "what does this symbol depict - WTF
is it?", which is a much harder task than the trivially easy follow-on step
of "what action do I take if I see it".

Standard symbols like (square) || (round red dot) are widely
understood from tape recorders and all similar playing/recording devices.
Likewise road signs - and they are drawn to a standard: every British "bend"
sign is the same as every other one. But less common, more esoteric symbols
are a lot harder.

Indeed they are. I reckon the most misunderstood pair of signs
are "Oncoming vehicles have priority" and "You have priority over
oncoming vehicles", especially amongst workers deploying signs
around road works.

If they had stopped with different sized arrows I think the signs would be
a lot less confusing, but no, some bright spark decided to emphasise one
arrow with colour. Now my brain has to work out whether size or colour is
the more important attribute of the arrow denoting priority.

Definitely a poor sign IMO.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls