Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 20:38:07 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:30:37 -0400, Tekkieİ
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 14:02:03 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 3/26/2021 12:32 PM, mike wrote:

I can't see the inside of that cartridge filter, nor can I do a flow
test.

I disagree you can't see inside that cartridge filter since teardowns
exist.
(1) Why do you think it has a pleated filter & which are the best?
(2) Why do you think it has an antidrainback valve & which is best?
(3) Why do you think it has an overpressure valve & which is best?
(4) Why do you think it has a gasket for engine mating & which is best?
(5) Why do you think it has many holes around the outside & which are best?

But none of that applies to the filter in my car for the past 5000
miles. Sure, I can buy what seems best but that has nothing to do with
the present condition of my car as I change the oil today. May have
been great for 4900 miles but will it be good for the next couple of
thousand?

Not just about money too.

You had not yet mentioned a single decision that wasn't only about money.
I mentioned the specifications, OEM recommendations and the tear downs.

Clearly we think differently.

You seem to only care about money and convenience (and that's OK).
I very much care about what it is that I'm trying to accomplish.

I care about making my car last. Even a cheap car is a hefty investment
and while I abhor waste, I do believe in proper maintenance. In the
time of ownership I will get 10 oil changes or in your case, an extra 5
filters. About $50 extra on a car I spent $50k on. Keeps my warranty
and peace of mind.

I'm under the car, filter is right there, two minutes and done.* I'm
certainly not going with an interval other than a change time.

Most people are like you in that they don't understand what it is they buy.
They just replace it without thinking using any interval they feel like.
They probably don't even read the owners manual to see what it says.

And that's OK.
You can replace your oil filter on any interval you feel like doing so.

But I'm going to base my replacement on understanding what the filter does.
And I'm also going to base it on understanding what the manufacturer says.
And I'm going to base my replacement on choosing good filters to start
with.

Having said that you're welcome to replace yours on any interval you like.
But if you ask me how I choose my interval then don't only bring up money.

Yeah, say what you want but you bring up money every time. Seems like
you want to save it and that's fine too. My engine has a 100k warranty
and even if I don't keep the car that long the next owner gets benefit.
Owners manual says change the filter.

You realize you are talking with Arlen Holder...

Now he claims to be a ritired accountant - He always claimed to be an
engineer before, didn't he????

Yup, it's Arlen. I keep reading because I look at it as humor. He plonked me a
long time ago. Like the condom vending machines at the the drive-ins said:
"For amusement purposes only" I can't wait for his next nym. He can't help
himself. Clare you're a good guy, don't let him get to you. He seems to have
that nack because you are a serious minded, no BS type. (There is nothing wrong
with that!) I have come to the conclusion he is some kind of research assistant
at the library with little self esteem. But what do I know? Flame on

--
Tekkie