Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light fitting not earthed ok?

Yes but on many double insulated devices, on can get a humming tingling feel
in the finger as you touch it, and many people feel that is not safe, even
though we all know its just a function of the electrostatic field in the
cable.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Theo" wrote in message
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I'd go the mile to earth it, but on Habitat's defence, perhaps there
should be a double insulated logo somewhere on a sticker that also
mentions the max wattage of the bulb?

As John Ward's video points out, adding an earth to something that's Class
II (double insulated) can make things worse if there's a risk of it
providing a route to earth from some other live source (eg another faulty
appliance).

This rather depends on where it's going to be mounted. If it's a ceiling
light on a 3m high ceiling it's rather less likely to be touched compared
with a wall lamp. In the former case the earth is only protecting from
something breaching the double insulation, something which is fairly
unlikely in any case.

Theo