Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default OT: Organ donation should be compulsory, not just "opt out"

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 20:09:23 -0000, Snit wrote:

On Mar 25, 2021 at 11:36:13 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 19:20:20 -0000, Snit wrote:

On Mar 16, 2021 at 11:45:35 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
:

Terminals use things like Control+C to abort (terminate) a
processes. You try
to copy and you literally kill whatever process (app) you are using! Some
processes will thankfully warn you and you do not lose everything,
but the
concept is absurd. The UNIX way was first... then Apple used the
Command key
(they used to call it the Open Apple key) and then Windows and
later Linux
copied the Mac but did it in a way where they used the UNIX keys
to do the
wrong thing. On Windows that is not quite so bad, but Linux is a
UNIX clone.

Ah, I do copy and paste from command prompts in windows, but I've
never tried doing it incorrectly (that sounds German). I highlight and
press enter. Paste works as normal. But then I used to use DOS and
CTRL-C for "break" is embedded in my head. And the earlier command
prompts in Windows didn't allow pasting, so when it came in I
remembered the highlight and enter method.

It is not that big of a deal, especially given how being command line
it gives
a mental context change -- but why not have it be the same for both?

Because one of them would have to change. Presumably nobody thought of
it at the time, or they developed in tandem seperately.

The UNIX convention was there long before the GUI hit key conventions.
Apple
did it right... they created a new hot key for the GUI. Windows copied the
Mac, but went to the UNIX hot key, and when they did that they created
overlap.

But you have an extra pointless key.

No more than on PCs.

Shift, Control, Option, and Command.
Shift, Control, Alt, and Windows.

We didn't used to have the stupid extra context key. The windows key is very
useful, but your command key just functions as ctrl.

We use Control for other things.

You don't need that many things. You'd never remember 52 of them.

And there is still the issue of copying and
pasting in a terminal with Windows and Linux. They copied Apple poorly, making
it so you have to do different things for the terminal. Why? What benefit is
that? And having to use the less dextrous pinky or stretching your hand in odd
ways just to copy and paste is also not as good.

What's wrong with things being different in different places? Making everything the same is the mistake MS made with Windows 8, trying to make a desktop work like a phone. It's not a phone. I don't want my microwave to have controls like a car either.

In the end, though, not a huge deal either way. Just a shame MS did a
half-assed job in their copying.

What do you press in a Mac command prompt to break?

Same number of "modifier" keys. Some keyboards also have a "function" key
for
things like the number pad.

Those are intolerable and only there for tiny laptops. Very annoying when
trying to do a two key combination but Fn is required to make one of the keys
into the other key, so now you need to press three things at once. And what
order do you do them in?

It is like shift-letter to get a cap. Not a big deal. Apple has them for the F
keys... they are rarely needed on a Mac and are used for other things (like
volume and brightness)... but CAN be used for function keys if needed. You can
set which is the default based on your needs.

Pressing one shift key is fine. But Fn adds an extra one, so a two key combo becomes three. Do you press CTRL or Fn first?

Also do not like the weird hand calisthenics needed with Control,
though not a big deal.

I press the CTRL with my little finger, and the X/C/V with my
first finger. I'd find CMD in the wrong place - next to spacebar
isn't it? Too close.

I use my thumb for the Command key... and out of habit do so when
on Windows
or Linux, so yeah, I likely am having the issue because I do it
wrong. I also
am a CRAPPY typist... the "normal" way uses so many fingers!

Thumb on Command means V is too far for my first finger to reach,
unless you have longer fingers than me.

The Command button is right next to the space bar. Z, X, C, and V are
right
about it.

Your keyboard seems to have the spacebar further right than a PC. That
would make me keep missing the space. Typical Apple, to **** with
standards.

I have an Apple keyboard, but it works fine with pretty much any keyboard.

How do you press CMD?

Use one of the standard keys on the keyboard... whether designed for Mac or
Windows. You can configure it easily:

https://9to5mac.com/wp-content/uploa...references.jpg

Just checked the current OS -- looks much the same but they have added the
"function" or "fn" key to the mix.

ROFL! Using software to fix a problem that shouldn't exist.

It exists largely to help deal with "broken" Windows keyboards.

Windows is the more popular OS. Mac is therefore broken. I thought you like standardisation?

Remember the "disk light" extension so you could see if there was disk
activity? All for the sake of removing a very useful LED.

I had it for a while. Never needed it.

You need it to tell if the computer has hung up or busy.

And now they have the same type utility for Windows:

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/27/ss...r-for-windows/

Why would I need that with the blue LED on the front of my desktop?

Apple set the desktop standard for where the "added" key was... MS did not
follow until 1994 when they added the "Windows key".

Apple never set standards, they break them.

For the GUI Apple (and NeXT) very much set the standard. Some time ago I
compiled a list of things Apple (and NeXT) were, as far as I could tell, the
first to use:

* Double clicking
* Trash can (or the like)
* Graying out inactive items
* Checkmarks next to menu items
* Keyboard shortcuts for menu items
* Drag and drop
* Full file system in GUI (as icons)
* GUI based hierarchical folder structure
* Editing documents with direct mouse manipulation
* The clipboard (and later one with multiple versions of the same data
so you can paste plain text or formatted text, etc.)
* Control panel to set system settings
* Pull down menus
* Desktop accessories (now known as widgets or gadgets)
* Meta-data associations with icons (data about the data being
associated with the file)
* Self-redrawing windows (at Apple) and later windows where the image
was still held in memory even when not visible, making the redraw be
instantaneous from the perspective of a user (called double buffering
and done at NeXT)
* X to close a window (this is from NeXT - I was surprised by that)

The first is never the best.

Well, Apple has modified it over the years. I *should* have added that it was
someone else, not Apple, who modified menus so you did not have to hold the
mouse button down. That was ergonomically bad. Not sure if it was MS or who
that made the change though.

In the late 1980s I was teaching computers... only one of the teachers at my
school using a GUI. I had no idea of Apple or MS Word would be around in the
future, but I knew that basic paradigm was here to stay. And it has (with some
updates, of course).

Have they made a taskbar yet? That floating dock I saw with the first OS X was ****. I couldn't tell the difference between a running program and an alias.

Pretty much the modern idea of the GUI is from Apple.

Do you seriously think if they hadn't, noone else would have?

We have no way to know. Some likely yes... but ideas are often only obvious
once we see them.

It's obvious someone would have.

MS also did introduce
some things which have become common:

* Contextual (right click) menus
* Drag indicators (to show copying, moving, making a shortcut / alias)
* The Start button

Apple has no Start Button, but they have adopted the other two.

How the **** do you start a program?

Well?

Is it true longer fingers and longer toes mean a longer cock?

I only have myself as an example.

Get out more :-)

I did not compare even before the pandemic. Finger sizes or other.

Not even a quick look in a changing room?

Why would I?

To see if you're normal. Or to find out which ones are gay.

I don't care.

You've never looked up average penis length on google?

I refuse to spend much time proving an idiot wrong.

I spend too much time doing so.

I noticed. Particularly with Dustin.

He, along with Carroll, are on auto-read. I should put Pothead there, given
how he is likely a Carroll sock... or at the very least tries to emulate
Carroll in posting almost nothing but insane attacks.

Auto read means it's tempting for you to still look, which you keep doing.
Mine are shoved in a seperate folder I never look in unless something went
in there in error.

I do not think my current client allows me to move them. I do not want them
deleted so I can see them if I want, or in a search, but moving them would
be
better.

Even worse is if I am looking at the forum as it updates it shows me the
read
posts -- so I sometimes see Carroll and Gremlin are still posting. But there
is no actual desire to read their posts and I have not been. I *KNOW* what
they are posting, at least in broad strokes. Why read their victim mentality
nonsense when I know it before I open it?

Because it's natural for humans to be inquisitive.

And to be fair I have taken Gremlin out of auto-read for now. I get Carroll:
years ago he admitted he does not care if he lies to those he attacks with
insults. I know he is just trying to get attention with his insults, attacks,
lies, socks, etc. I know he simply has the biggest victim mentality I have
ever seen. But with Gremlin I do not know if he is being sincere or not in his
claims to not understand how one can be good at X but still not be good at Y
and even be a fraud when talking about Y.

Not a hard concept. I make some pretty good waffles. Goodie for me. I could go
into details on it if anyone cared. But if I were to say I make great
sourdough bread and talked about it as my adding as much salt as I do flour
then it would be clear I was a fraud in terms of my claims about sourdough
bread, EVEN IF I was the inspiration for Weird Al to write this song about the
Waffle King:

https://youtu.be/ySkA91dT5Rg

Disclaimer: I am neither confirming nor denying if I was Weird Al's
inspiration.

I don't understand how you can reply to the same inane waffle from Gremlin over and over again. It's way too tedious.

Speaking of being a crappy typists, I have no idea what error I
made, but the
autocorrect changed "irks" to "girls". Um, what?

It remembers how often you use that term and deems it likely, my
phone does the same when sending texts. Just what websites have you
been using? Better get a VPN or someone like diesel will out you.

I do not type "girls" often, but I do have a VPN. Don't use it much.

It's handy if you get banned from a forum. I'm also an Italian :-)
Changed my writing style too.

I use it to get to some BBC content. Shhhh.... don't tell them.

I've done the same, would you believe some BBC content is available in the
USA but not the UK? WTF?

I have seen that as well, though I cannot remember with what content.

Harry Enfield clips on Youtube (a UK comedy). Probably the BBC banning it
being seen without a TV license, but since they export stuff to you for free,
at the expense of UK citizens, they don't block it over there.

Still weird.

If you ever see a Lamberto Vitali causing arguments, that's probably me.