Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCDs and EICRs

On 28/03/2021 17:53, ARW wrote:
On 28/03/2021 16:52, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

I seem to be getting a lot of RCD failures when the RCD does not trip
with the test button of with the RCD tester.

But after manually turning the RCD off and back on it works within spec.

So give yours a test. It could save you from a belt.

I'm surprised an RCD that's temperamental like that isn't regarded as
faulty and needs replacing?Â* Who's to say how quickly after TIOATIOA
it becomes temperamental again?

I have had different views on that.

Our (whole house) RCD frequently tripped. It was pretty well on the edge
all the time due to the number of items of computer equipment with their
leaky filters (a dual PSU server, 4 and at times 5 PCs, plus printers,
satellite boxes, etc.)

I have had no problems at all since I took out the RCD and fitted RCBOs
- a slightly complicated task as it is an old Crabtree Starbreaker with
a 14-way busbar that needed to be changed from a split one to a
continuous one ... and you can only buy the 15-way versions for the
newer Starbreakers. In the end, I had to buy a 15-way, carefully remove
the end plastic (which includes the mounting), cut down the busbar and
re-attach the end.