Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default RCDs and EICRs

On 28 Mar 2021 at 16:23:03 BST, "Robin" wrote:

On 28/03/2021 16:02, ARW wrote:
I seem to be getting a lot of RCD failures when the RCD does not trip
with the test button of with the RCD tester.

But after manually turning the RCD off and back on it works within spec.

So give yours a test. It could save you from a belt.

I am not a fan of extra regulation without cost-benefit assessment but
that seems a strong case to at least explore with stakeholders requiring
landlords to give tenants advice/instruction to test RCD(s) every 3
months. Could be added on to the requirement to give them a copy of the
EICR.

One of mine trips several times a week, whenever their is a brief power
outage, which is that often, although perhaps there is a lot of baseline earth
leakage.[1} Is this common, it is a little annoying?

[1] I can't reset it without disconnecting one of the power circuits quite
often, one day I'll look into it.

--
Roger Hayter