Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default De-soldering copper pipe

On 28/03/2021 15:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

I disagree.

When the pipe is hot enough it is quite straightforward to wipe the
pipe of any excess solder.

I don't see that part of the operation being a problem.

But I do tend to think that by the time you've got enough heat into a
22mm elbow that another solder fitting an inch a way is likely to suffer
and need replacing too.

That is the danger. In my experience removing a soldered joint often
requires (or is given) a lot more heat, and for longer, than soldering
it in the first place. This may have partially melted the solder in the
connection an inch away now leaving voids in an imperfect soldered joint.

As I mentioned before, is 1 inch enough for a reliable compression
fitting? The OP would have to ensure that the pipe is fully inserted
into the fitting as the nut as it is tightened. A quick check on a gash
compression fitting in my spares box requires a total of around 17mm of
pipe (for insertion into the fitting and the width of the olive).