Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car battery.

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Need a new one for the old Rover. Mainly my fault as it hasn't been used
much this last year due to Covid. And has been left to go nearly flat a
few times.

Most places you go to supply via the reg number. And the Rover is too old
for their data base.

Two batteries fit. 069 and 072. Except that this once common battery code
is no longer universal.

Halfords (I have a trade card) no longer seem to do a suitable size,
either own brand or Yuasa.

The existing is a Bosch S4 027. Which by spec and dimensions is an 072.

Googling for that shows prices from just under £80 to near £200.

EuroCarParts and their off shoot uncompetitive. I could have collected
from them.

So chose a supplier I've heard of on Ebay, at £80 with free carriage.

I've had success with eBay (choosing firms with large numbers of sales).
Last time I needed one in a hurry I went to the local "independent"
parts shop, they checked the reg number and gave me a battery that I
thought looked slightly too big, luckily I was in the car so checked
straight away. They gave me another with the right dimensions at the top
and later when I tried to fit it it turned out it would not fit in the
tray because it was the type with overhangs at the bottom to engage with
clamps.

On this car there is some tollerance for the battery length - hence 069
and 072 being OK, but not for height as the bonnet comes rather close to
the terminals.

Come to think of it, the time before the first battery they gave me had
the opposite handedness, again after a computer check against reg number.

My mate in the trade reckons Euro Car Parts are usually OK.

I looked at their site as I could collect from them. Twice the Ebay price
for the same battery. They seem to work on discount codes and other
nonsense. I'd far rather deal with a 'straight' supplier.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.