Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default How long does it take a microwave oven to warm up?

wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 07:26:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 12:38:07 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 14:37:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 3:58:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 16:54:06 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
writes:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 06:13:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 8:40:45 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
Heywood wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I still hear this myth being pushed. Food does NOT heat
from the
inside, it heats from the outside in. DUH!!

It heats any water molecules when they get passed through
and start to
vibrate faster. If the water content is mostly on the
inside (like a
pie) it would actually heat from the inside out. If not, it
wouldn't
heat from inside outwards.

The microwaves still act on the water molecules closest to
the surface
first. The center will be cold long after the outside burns
when you
cook on high.

That's bull****.

That is why they pulse the gun (temp control) and tell
you to let things rest. They are trying to get you to wait
until thermal conduction can even out the heating.

More bull****.

Best is to stir things you can and spread stuff out on the
plate.

No need to do that.

Greftwell is right in that the microwaves only penetrate about
an inch
into the food.
Depends on the food. The reality is that if you cook
a leg of lamb in the microwave, it doesn€„¢t end up
cold on the inside when you cook it on high.

Don't you mean leg of kangaroo? And who in their right mind would
cook
a leg of lamb in a microwave? Good grief.

Who would "cook" anything in a microwave. They are meant just to
heat
things up unless "cook" just means make it hot to you.

What alternate reality are you living in?

Cook - the art, science, and craft of using heat to prepare food
for consumption
In other words "it tastes like **** but you can live on it".
I suppose there is no difference to some people between cooking a
fine
meal from ingredients, not out of a can and nuking something in the
microwave.

So vegetables, eg broccoli or carrots cooked in a microwave are somehow
no good?
But ones boiled in water or steamed on the range are? Potato baked in a
microwave
is no good? Popcorn?
You are still just heating things up and popcorn?
Really?
That is cooking?

Yes, obviously it is cooking. The vegetables go from raw to cooked.

Baked potatoes never get that crispy skin. I will get them hot in the
microwave, then put them in a toaster oven for 15 minutes or so at
400+.
I suppose if you like them mushy, go for it.
I was really talking more about entrees than side dishes tho.
Rod says he makes stew in the microwave. Really, without browning the
meat? Same with short ribs and even some chicken dishes. You need the
caramelization to get the flavor. If flavor is not important to you.
go for it.
I guess all of those chefs are just wrong.

The fact that a microwave is not good for most cooking doesn't mean that
it's not good for cooking some things, eg vegetables and it does have
the advantage of being able to do that quickly.

I have one and I use it but I don't consider that cooking.

Yep, you actually are that stupid.

It is just heating stuff up.

Bull**** it is with say a whole potato.

If all I have is a microwave, I can do stuff with it but it is
not my go to thing when I am actually cooking something.

Yep, you actually are that stupid with stuff like real rice.

Maybe I just take food more seriously than some folks.

Nope, you are just pig ignorant about
what happens when you cook something.

You clearly arent just heating rice when you cook it in a microwave.

You can just heat stuff like rice and wheat in a microwave
and some do that to produce a hot thing to warm themselves
rather than eat it, but its nothing like when you cook the rice.

If you are going to eat, it might as well be a treat.

Yep, and the microwave does some stuff
like veg better than anything else does.

I like cooking.

I like eating good food but would prefer
someone else cooks it the way I like it.

My ex on the other hand thought fine cuisine was
throwing some chicken in a Corning bowl, dumping
in a can of mushroom soup and nuking it.
Yummy.

And you havent even noticed that microwaves cook food.