Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default De-soldering copper pipe

On 27/03/2021 19:04, Tim+ wrote:

As part of my insane quest to overcomplicate my CH system I need to remove
a 22mm right angled soldered fitting to fit a compression one instead.

To complicate matters theres another soldered fitting just over an inch
away that I really dont want to disturb (so may end up packing it in ice).

If you use a torch with a small directional flame it ought not be a
problem.

Any tips on how to cleanly remove solder to eliminate the risk of my olive
not seating/sealing properly?

Apply a bit of flux and heat the fitting. Use grips to give it a twist
from time to time until it melts and moves, pull off twisting back and
fourth. Use a damp rag folded over several times into a pad, to quicky
to wipe any solder off the pipe.

--
Cheers,

John.