Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rheilly Phoull[_2_] Rheilly Phoull[_2_] is offline

Default HP DV5 stop overheating issue?

On 28/03/2021 7:04 am, Hem Jung wrote:
Five years ago, I acquired a nice used HP DV5 laptop.Â* Only problem is
that after only running for a short time, it slows almost to the point
of a crawl in speed.Â* At first I didn't know what the reason was, but
then I discovered that if I aimed a small fan at it, the problem went
away.Â* So a couple of years back, I used it for days to help nuke some
hard drives that were being disposed of with no issues.Â* Now I want to
bring it out for a long term data logging project.Â* I suppose I could
put a fan on it again, but trying to cut back on electricity and also
there must be a better way.Â* Any ideas would be welcome and appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the cpu fan for fluff etc ?