Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default De-soldering copper pipe

On 27/03/2021 19:04, Tim+ wrote:
As part of my insane quest to overcomplicate my CH system I need to remove
a 22mm right angled soldered fitting to fit a compression one instead.

To complicate matters theres another soldered fitting just over an inch
away that I really dont want to disturb (so may end up packing it in ice).

Any tips on how to cleanly remove solder to eliminate the risk of my olive
not seating/sealing properly?

Tim

Wrap a strip of emery cloth around it and sand it off with the
appropriate wrist action

If you have a solder drip on one side of the pipe a first use a flat
needle file to remove it.

You only need to take enough solder off so that the olive slides on the
pipe.

Is an inch of pipe long enough to get a compression fitting on and not
leave the olive hanging on at the very end of the pipe?