Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default Improving loft space

On Saturday, 27 March 2021 at 08:33:24 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The problem is if what you store is heavy like books the ceiling can after a
while still bulge downward no matter how many struts you have, so removing
them sounds like a good way to end up with your ceiling in the bedroom.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
pinnerite wrote:

However, I suspect that there may be a way to add support to (say)
alternative struts to permit some to be removed. This would give me
the storage space that I need.

There are companies that replace timber with metal, with or without
additional gables, this is one I've noticed who put out videos of their
work.

https://youtu.be/OrDCdVLDJvQ

Trusses are engineered to spread the loads both tensile and compression and removal of any components even with a replacement dramatically affects the integrity of the structure. Before doing anything get a structural engineer to to recalculate what you intend to do and then use a reliable builder who has a proven track record doing these types of structural changes.

On the estate my daughter lives some of the houses have rooms built into the loft. All the houses used trusses to support the roof, however the ones with the loft rooms and dormers had a large square opening in the centre of each truss but the timber sizes were much greater compared to the ordinary W trusses used on the other houses and where wider spaces were required between trusses for dormers and the like the trusses were often doubled or tripled together either side.

If all you want is storage space an easy way is to fix beams parallel to the ceiling above the insulation then as someone suggested board around the truss members. I did this in our bungalow which with a 22deg. Pitch you could never stand up in anyway but provided a crawl space whilst rewiring but could be used for storage.

Richard