Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Noisy manhole covers?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 16:57:45 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

I can think of other cases where sensible "d-i-y" temporary remediation
of faults could fall into the rather broad classification of "criminal
damage", but nevertheless actually be quite reasonable.

On the way our way out earlier I spotted a blue frame packer on the
ground (after they were mentioned here) and picked it up ... and on
the way back, tried it in the gap round the manhole but the action
wasn't as I thought, in that it seems to be rocking directly
vertically at that point (so the packing piece would have to go under
the edge of the cover and on the frame).

So it feels more like something solid (a stone?) has been trapped
under the horizontal part of the cover / frame near one corner and its
just pivoting on that.

Along your train of thought, if a couple of us could mark off / manage
the area long enough to simply pull the lid, sweep out the frame and
the outer edge of the underside of the cover and plop it back into
place, I can't see anyone complaining (especially if it fixes the
noise etc).

The only issue would be if we dropped the cover down the hole and then
had to stand there protecting the hole till help arrived. ;-(

Maybe we could get one of the stripy tents the Post Office use and do
it under the cover of that. ;-)

Cheers, T i m