Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Noisy manhole covers?

On 26/03/2021 11:51, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 11:38:34 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 25/03/2021 21:58, T i m wrote:
I started to hear a regular 'clonk-donk' as cars were driving over
something in the road, like a bit of chipboard shelf but it then
persisted for around a couple of weeks.

You've reported it so you have done your civic duty. Someone mentioned
expanding foam. If there is a reasonable gap in places, how about a
generous injection of No More Nails or similar. On a dry night, when you
are sure no-one is watching.

And risk a charge of criminal damage ?

Which is why I said don't get caught. That particular action is,
perhaps, a PITA for the repair team who might have to do a complete
replacement where they could have got away with repointing the frame. I
can't see how it increases the risk for drivers, in fact if the frame is
cracked then it might reduce the chance or consequences of failure.

If the noise is *sufficiently* annoying and the councils are
particularly unhelpful then you might have a defence in the remote
chance of ending up before a magistrate.

I can think of other cases where sensible "d-i-y" temporary remediation
of faults could fall into the rather broad classification of "criminal
damage", but nevertheless actually be quite reasonable.