John R Weiss

Default Which cables do I use to wire for cable tv & high speed internet?

"Manish" wrote...

I am in the process of an addition to my house and had a couple of
questions if you don't mind. When wiring the extension for comcast
cable TV, cable high speed internet access, which wires do I use??

At home depot one guy told me to buy the 18/1, another said the CAT 5,
another said BOTH!!!

"BOTH" is closer to reality.

You will need coax cable (someone else said RG6; I'm not sure of the
specification) to go to the TV and cable modem. You may want to run 2 separate
cables either from the point where the cable first enters the house or from an
accessible location at the addition; the cable modem needs a separate cable with
a filter.

Cat 5 Ethernet cable is used between the cable modem and the computer; or
between the cable modem and router, and between the router and individual
computers in the case of a Local Area Network (LAN) with several computers.
Wherever you set up your cable modem is where you want to set up your router,
which will be the central access point for your LAN. From there you can run Cat
5 cable to other rooms. A single cable to each room should suffice; you can add
an Ethernet switch in any room where you want to set up multiple computers.