Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
Masking tape can work - starting out with a small drill. Or if you have
one of those old tile scorers - the sort you use before snapping them.
Just used to break the glaze.

I found two ways of doing this: use a wheel brace with a smallish bit -
for tiles a small spade bit made for tiles is ideal - and 'rock' the
wheel. Because it doesn't do more than about a quarter of a turn it
doesn't 'walk'. use a spade bit and 'rock' it by hand - I managed to put
a 6mm bit through (B&Q basic) a tile using the bit with finger and thumb
once through the glaze. No tape or anything else needed.

Yes - those spade tile drills have a very sharp point and don't wander
anything like a more conventional drill.

I find just giving the back of the drill a thump (with it stationary)
enough to give it a pilot. If you have a fairly steady hand.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.