Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Noisy manhole covers?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:48:33 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 21:58:18 +0000, T i m wrote:

Now, I've reported this one to the Highways Agency but it looks like it
comes under their 'low priority' action

A few years ago one of those failed on the A38 Aston Expressway in Brum,
and a cars front wheel dropped into it causing a fatal crash.

I bet. This is big enough to fully accept most car or van wheels and
wouldn't do a truck any good either.

But, as they say, "low priority".

I get that the 'noise nuisance' may not rank very high compared with
other works, but as you highlight, who knows when it could escalate to
a failure and what that then bring. *Luckily* in this case the traffic
is typically only doing ~25 mph but it would still probably do a lot
of damage (wheel / suspension / underbody) to any car that fell into
it.

(IIRC the coroner was pretty unimpressed too).

Quite ... I'm not sure they always learn from that though (or have the
funds / bodies to be able to)?

Cheers, T i m