Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Noisy manhole covers?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:27:11 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Safety is your main concern, you really need all the barriers and signage to
do work, and remember most of the highways in this country use rental
played by the contractor to work in the road and in my view this is why it
takes a long time to fix.

Because the road in question is a bit of a thoroughfare (one of two
entry / exits for two groups of houses) they generally get any work
done and dusted pretty quickly.

If it were not a major road and one belonging to a
local council you might get it sorted faster.

I'm not sure who owns it but I had to report the fault to the
Highways, rather than LC.

I'd certainly not risk my life
standing in the road fiddling with a drain cover.

Nor would I if it was a risk as such. Luckily this is a fairly slow
(short stretch of road between two junctions) and most people seem
pretty respectful of anyone in the road (outside the rush hour rat-run
traffic at least). ;-)

If it were not dangerous
I'd get the local travellers around to take the cover and flog it.

That's a bit of lateral thinking. ;-)

I was thinking of just standing a traffic cone on it and then people
would drive round ... following the line of the road, rather than the
'desire line' they all seem to follow when nothing is coming the other
way that places their offside wheels (on both directions) over it.

Cheers, T i m