Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Noisy manhole covers?

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:20:48 +0000, Mike Halmarack
wrote:

snip

Whilst I really only notice it during the morning rush hour / school
run, it must be pretty loud / annoying for the houses either side?

My minor concern is that it get's worse requiring a replacement that
takes even longer to happen. 'Where there's noise there's wear', as my
Dad used to say.

Rush hour's a torment when you've got one of these seveal feet away.

Even from this one that must be 50m away from us, it's still like a
form of low-level water torture. ;-(

I tried several things: pouring sand between the frame and the lid,
which worked for a while, expanding foam with similar effect.

Interesting, thanks.

In the end it had to be a replacement.

And can be a much bigger job. I have seen them just change the whole
cover / frame pretty quickly (like for like presumably) but this one
is right on the crown [1] and the road really only just wide enough
for two cars, meaning it's likely they would have to block the entire
road for the duration of the works.

We don't mind as we rarely have to go out that way but it is a main
thoroughfare for a local estate and a low choice rat run so always
causes a lot of disruption when they do.

The good news is that my report has been received and 'in progress':

"Thanks for telling us about this issue.

Based on the information you provided, we have determined that a
different organisation is responsible for fixing this issue, so we
have passed it to them."

On the High Street however there is a cover that has been loose for
*ages* and is a real CLANK CLANK every time anyone goes over it and
because it's right in line with nearside wheel track and so 'blind' to
most behind a speed hump (meaning people generally come done on it
harder), I'm surprised it hasn't failed completely. ;-(

I may have another look at our one today (it can get pretty quiet
between the busy bits, pretty slow and with good sight lines in both
directions) and if the relevant organisation doesn't deal with it
quickly, I was thinking a couple of 3D printed 'T' section wedges
fitted opposite either side of the pivot line might at least deaden
the noise till they do.

Cheers, T i m