Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Best hollow-wall fixings through tiles?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 00:37:17 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
No. And therein lies the problem. They wander like buggery until you get
them started, then they stay in the groove

One way to sort that is to make a 6mm hole in something and use that as a
jig pressed against the wall.

I've been Googling this. With the larger sizes the recommended technique
appears to be to approach the surface at a 45 degree angle, let the drill
bite in just one spot, and then slowly move it to 90 degrees with the whole
of the drill in contact.

Maybe the old trick of putting masking tape or similar on the glazed surface
would help?

I might see if I can find a scrap tile or two to practise on - but not too
much, to avoid blunting the drill.

Thanks for the info.

Masking tape can work - starting out with a small drill. Or if you have
one of those old tile scorers - the sort you use before snapping them.
Just used to break the glaze.

I found two ways of doing this:
use a wheel brace with a smallish bit - for tiles a small spade bit made for
tiles is ideal - and 'rock' the wheel. Because it doesn't do more than about
a quarter of a turn it doesn't 'walk'.
use a spade bit and 'rock' it by hand - I managed to put a 6mm bit through
(B&Q basic) a tile using the bit with finger and thumb once through the
glaze.
No tape or anything else needed.
--
Peter.