Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default diy smart multiway trailing socket.

On 25/03/2021 11:15, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 01:02:23 +0000, Fredxx
wrote:

On 24/03/2021 23:21, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 21:29:41 +0000, Fredxx
wrote:

snip cowardly troll ****e

The truth hurts.

Nope, it was just more cowardly troll ****e. Making accusations from
bogus assumptions because you simply can't help yourself.

Pointing out, "You do realise that the RPi can load from SD card and
then no more writes. So no writing at all once the image is loaded onto
the card" was not an accusation.

If you post nonsense like,

"Ah, just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice
for a serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not
good for long term writes?"

Right, so where do you think HA writes all the log / history / config
files to then, volatile RAM or space? Or all the OS updates or HA
updates (that happen pretty regularly).

I don't know the details of your "Home Automation thing" setup.

Of course you don't ... because if you had you wouldn't have offered
that bollox solution as a form of 'help'!!!

It may not be your chosen solution but for many it is.

However any writes to the SD don't haven, and the overlay file system is
volatile and lost on power down.

I know, I've been running RPI's since the first one and have updated
the firmware on a 3B to boot from SSD like my RPi4's can. My OMV NAS
runs on a PRi2b and a 3TB USB drive. TVHeadend is also running on a
PRi3b but only to the SD card atm. The chances are your arrogant
assumptions re what I know about RPi's led you to the ignorance that
'obliged' you to **** up so badly in public again.

Is that your embarrassment?

That you claim to know everything about the Raspberry Pi, but hate being
told "You do realise that the RPi can load from SD card and then no more
writes. So no writing at all once the image is loaded onto the card".

You could stop the writing to the SD once you've setup your chosen defaults.

Ignorant ****. Have you really never heard of log files, history,
automations, OS upgrades and system updates? These are going on 'ALL
THE TIME' and so making the system read only would render it useless.
Like your advice to me here.

They are optional, and I only look at log files if there has been a
problem.Updates are also optional.

I confess I don't studiously go through log files in the hope of seeing
something interesting.

And before you try to squirm out of it like you *always* do, we were
talking SPECIFICALLY about running Home Assistant on a RPi here,
nothing else.

I'm not squirming, I was simply correcting your erroneous claim, "Ah,
just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice for a
serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not good
for long term writes?"

Except, in this situation, it wasn't erroneous, it was technically
100% correct. Apologise or STFU.

I'm sorry if I pointed out "You do realise that the RPi can load from SD
card and then no more writes. So no writing at all once the image is
loaded onto the card" and this wasn't your chosen solution.

It's also why I suggested an external SSD in a caddy connected to your
USB port as an effective alternative to writing to an SD card if you
want a long lasting system where writes are common place.

If I wanted to do that I would have done so. I *certainly* didn't need
(or want) your advice on that. The fact that you are still insisting
on this matter is part of your problem. I know you can't help
yourself. It must be a very confusing world for you.

Given you seem to think the facility didn't exist, that's very hard to
believe.

So, I wonder what the chances are of an apology from you are,
especially since you stated publicly that you give them out when they
are due? I'm guessing none, because I was right and you are just a
lying troll.

I apologise for correcting you when you're wrong. Will that do?

No, I want a real apology. One where you don't try to correct me when
I'm 100% right (again).

I'm truly very sorry if I pointed out "You do realise that the RPi can
load from SD card and then no more writes. So no writing at all once the
image is loaded onto the card" and this wasn't your chosen solution.

I will respond when with simply modifying a config file there are no
more writes and so the SD card may well outlast the RPi.

See above faceplanter. As usual you don't have an f'ing clue.

Sheesh, when was the last time you wrote code for the Pi, or wrote an
application for Linux or Windows.

Irrelevant but if that was the case, you may have realised that there
could be more to it than your blinkered view? We are talking
specifically about Home Assistant running on a RPi here, nothing else.
More specifically, the 'known issues' of something *Running* from a
uSD card (RPi) V something that doesn't (Odroid N2+/ eMMC)).

Ah, so experience is irrelevant. Nice one. So we should discount "I've
been running RPI's since the first one and have updated the firmware on
a 3B to boot from SSD like my RPi4's can" as being irrelevant.

Secondly, to retain a 'supported' installation status, Home Assistant
needs to be installed and run following some fairly strict guidelines,
something else I'm guessing you didn't know before offering me advice.

The Raspberry Pi is deigned for people with no or little programming or
computer system experience. So your, "fairly strict guidelines" for most
experienced people would be expected.

Now, had you said: 'Would you be able to run your RPI off an external
hard drive ... ' that might have been different ... but you didn't.
You started your 'help' with "You do realise ..." which is not the
same thing. You may not be able to see why, that is part of your
problem.

Except you chastised me for the idea. Please do make up your mind.

Best killfile me, then you won't see corrections I'm obliged, for the
better good, to correct.

'You are obliged' ... listen to yourself FFS, who do you think you
are??

When you spout nonsense, yes I am obliged.

And it seems you are also 'obliged' when I don't (which is actually
most of the time). You really should learn the difference between your
opinion and fact. I know it's difficult for people like you, but give
it a try.

It is a fact, "that the RPi can load from SD card and then no more
writes. So no writing at all once the image is loaded onto the card"
when you imply otherwise.

Mine was fact, your opinion was garbage.

No, you keep 'correcting me' and I will keep feeling sorry that you
really can't see yourself for what you really are, a sad little troll.
;-(

snip more examples of troll ****e

More truth you don't like to hear. I'll repeat the salient points.

Now, how many trillion animals did you say are slaughtered every year?

Go and get help and killfile me and others you call trolls.