Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Side road resurfacing

In message , Andrew
writes
On 24/03/2021 17:03, JNugent wrote:
On 19/03/2021 10:14 pm, alan_m wrote:
On 19/03/2021 19:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
alan_m wrote on 19/03/2021 :
Unless built on clay with a tendency to "heave".

Which is the case here. My assumption is that the slabs rock
slightly with passing traffic, which then breaks the tarmac up at
the join. The joins in the slabs soon show up after resurfacing.

I've seen roads where the slabs have randomly cracked.

That famously happened on the MI soon after the opening of the
original seventy-mile stretch in 1959.

Most of which has had to be rebuilt because of subsidence.

Locally rumoured that the hoggin used, taken from this farm by Redland
Aggregates, was too sandy!

--
Tim Lamb