Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default diy smart multiway trailing socket.

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:40:46 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 24/03/2021 09:26, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Hmm, Having experienced what some idiots do with trailing sockets, like
plugging two fan heaters in and wondering why its getting hot, I do question
the lack of a fuse or fuses for each outlet if you are going to make them
like that. OK you will have a 13 amp in its plug, but the one I recall had a
so called 13 amp in the socket bar too, and nether blew with two three kw
heaters on full power. I kind of wonder about fuse ratings myself.

Fuses have different speeds of melting at different currents and also a
tolerance band. At the low end of the band, a 13A fuse will pass
slightly over 20A indefinitely, at the high end, it is more like 25A.
Plus the heaters are likely not quite 3kw, so 2 off 3kW heaters is
perfectly possible.

I tend to replace any plug tops that come with anything likely to draw
a reasonable load (1000W+) and especially for an extended period (like
an electric heater) with MK ones (the rigid plastic jobs) as they
don't seem to get as warm in use as some of the lighter / cheaper ones
do. ;-(

Cheers, T i m