Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default jointers

wrote in message ...

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 14:26:36 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

Back when I had a 6" jointer I was edge jointing some 16' stock (don't
recall if it was 2x6 or 2x8) and had the jointer standing up on end at one
point... the jointer wasn't big and heavy enough to cope with the leverage
the long boards exerted and I didn't have an outfeed stand set up. That
led
me to the DJ-20. That kind of stuff is why I have big stationary tools
now... the smaller stuff was too dangerous for the tasks I asked of them!

For me, it's go big or go home. I'm only going to get one chance to
buy a tool. It has to be what I'll want for the next 20 years (we can
all dream ;-).

When I bought them, the 6" jointer, contractor's saw, bench top router
table, and lunch box thickness planner seemed like they'd do everything I
needed. The reality is the projects I took on grew in complexity, size and
volume over time. Now it's an 8" jointer, 3 HP cabinet saw, 3 HP shaper,
and floor model planner... Started with an 18" bandsaw and added a 36"...
The only power shop tool I bought in the past decade was a power feeder. I
don't regret the evolution in my skills, projects or equipment.