Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT: Have you never ever ...

On 17/03/2021 11:30, Robin wrote:
On 17/03/2021 10:29, Tim Streater wrote:
On 16 Mar 2021 at 14:05:46 GMT, T i m wrote:

That's not completely true, I always hoped it ended up without any
horse fatalities or injuries (typically leading to their slaughter,
'destroyed' ... as it wasn't 'cost effective' to spend any money on
making them healthy again), risks to the innocent animals just because
people like to treat them like a commodity or money making scheme? ;-(

So here's something else that you clearly know nothing about: horses.

1) Horses like to race; that's what they do in the wild. So the
activity in
itself is not an unnatural behaviour for Dobbin although whether
particular
features of the sport are cruel (such as the whip, jumping, etc) I don't
know.

2) It takes a while to train a horse not to throw its saddle off or to
aaccept
a rider on its back. If a horse breaks its leg, then it would need a
splint
and plaster immediately. No time to get used to it and Dobbin, being
in pain
anyway, would simply lash around trying to get the plaster off its
leg. More
pain and more lashing out.

AFAIK, once a horse is injured there's not much you can do about it; they
don't make good patients. Trting to could be considered more cruel than
euthanising it. Cost doesn't come into it.

Anyone here with direct experience of this?

I also doubt the financial nous of anyone who thinks it is a matter of
what's 'cost effective' that leads to the euthanisation of horses with
broken legs which, even if the injury meant they never raced again,
would still be worth loads of money at stud.

Maybe Findus made a better offer for it.

--
Adam