Posted to alt.home.repair

Default poison oak

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 19:13:05 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 3/19/2021 6:28 PM, Boris wrote:
dan wrote in :

Which works better to eradicate thousands of little poison oak plants?

All are small (about a millimeter to two or three millimeters in stem
diameter) where they're vines so some stick up six inches to a foot to
even three feet and when I pull them I can generally get another five or
ten feet of under the leaves rooty vine.

They're easy to pull up out of the ground.
They're easy to spray since they have a distinctive set of leaves.

But which works best for long term poison oak eradication?
Pulling?
Spraying? (roundup)

I think Wade Garrett had the best answer: contact your local big nursery.
The reason I say that is because I ran into the same problem, but not with
poison oak, but with morning glory vine that I intentionally planted in my
flower bed, and then years later wanted to get rid of. Morning glory, I
found out, grows like ivy...up everything, and hard to kill.

The morning glories grew up my 20' downspout and popped out of the top,
and began to grow as a hanging garden in the rain gutter. It was pretty,
but clogged my downspout. It had so invaded my downspout, that I couldn't
just pull it out. I had to detach the downspout from the side of the
house, but also had to cut it in half to pull the vine out. I ended up
replacing the downspout.

But, I still had morning glory growing in the flower bed, below. I kept
pulling the thing out but it always left thin stems, like what you are
experiencing with the poison oak. Each month, I had to keep pulling more
out. Eventually, I tried a product called Remuda (a cousing of RoundUp,
same formulation) which was very successful at another house for removing
persistent weeds), but the results only lasted for a few months, and the
moring glory was back.

I've finally settled on the fact that I either have to yank the thing out,
or kill what I can with something like Remuda. Each couple of months, I
do one or the other. Pull or spray.

I think the problem is the same as yours. The stems are so long, that the
chemicals never travel that far. My stems were somethinge 20' long.

I had good results on blackberry by cutting off the end of a stem and
immersing it in a plastic container of roundup with a cover to protect
from rain and evaporation. It did seem to kill back to the root.

I live in a place where most dish garden plants can take over your
yard in a couple of years. I have won the war on Brazilian peppers,
air potatoes and the carrot woods are in trouble. Lesser weeds are
gone. Garlon 4, mixed with diesel. **** that won't die, dies.
Just use it in a Zep bottle on fine stream and carefully shoot what
you want dead. With viney stuff you might need the fan spray because
every stem is a separate plant. Just watch your collateral damage.

It all just depends on how much time you want to spend killing weeds.