Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

Default poison oak

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 17:22:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd go with Roundup or similar. Pulling has the risk of getting the
stuff on you and leaving behind roots to grow again.

I have gallons of 50% roundup concentrate and a hand held pressure sprayer
and I can pull the poison oak up by the vines using good gloves also (I get
the rash but that's not what I'm worried about at all as I know how to clean
up after contact with poison oak).

What I'm weighing are the experiences of others who want to eradicate the
poison oak in one swoop, if that's even possible.

The dilemma is partly due to lack of information about how FAR roundup goes.

If I spray the leaves (which is all that sticks up from the deep leaf
litter) I miss the roots entirely although roundup travels from leaves to
roots to kill the plant if enough leaves are sticking up.

But these vines easily go for ten feet under the leaf litter.
Does roundup travel ten feet inside a plant?

If I pull the roots anywhere I see the leaves, a different dilemma ensues as
I can easily pull up the ten feet of vine but it eventually breaks leaving a
lot of remaining root and no leaves to spray or even pull up on so I'd have
to wait for that root to grow again for any leaves to show to hit it again.

Hence my dilemma.