Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default jointers

wrote in message ...

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 22:53:13 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

Yes. But when the end of the board clears the roller it falls and drags
on
the end of the in feed table.... ESPECIALLY on boards less than 8' long.

Eliminating that friction or drag would be temporary with every board
that
is longer than the in feed table.

Yes, it's temporary. However, when you have 12-16' boards in play the last
thing you need is more friction while you've got all that wood hanging out
there!

I'd think a version of infeed/outfeed tables would work better to keep
the ends supported.

The rollers would be an additional aid, not the only aid. I've found that it
takes a combination of things to safely and effectively work with 12'+
boards on a jointer... long beds, adequate jointer weight (or securing it to
the floor), enough room in the shop, infeed/outfeed stands, adequate down
pressure on the outfeed table, reasonably flat stock to begin with (no
excessive crook, bow, twist, etc.), etc. For my next project with long stock
I've have my stock feeder set up and that will take care of many of the
challenges.

Back when I had a 6" jointer I was edge jointing some 16' stock (don't
recall if it was 2x6 or 2x8) and had the jointer standing up on end at one
point... the jointer wasn't big and heavy enough to cope with the leverage
the long boards exerted and I didn't have an outfeed stand set up. That led
me to the DJ-20. That kind of stuff is why I have big stationary tools
now... the smaller stuff was too dangerous for the tasks I asked of them!