Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Desk ideas

On 19/03/2021 14:44, Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I use an old fire door that came out of Boots Brighton refurb
Being a fire door it takes my weight if I need to clean the
window and allows moveable storage arrangements underneath.

I used 40mmx3mx1m butcher block, it's supported on battens around four
walls, similarly it'll take my weight, the plastic drawer units left and
right underneath can be pulled out.

http://andyburns.uk/misc/desk.jpg

Nice.

I have a similar arrangement where the old fire door is
under the window at a slightly higher desk height than normal
about 80cms and is 70cms wide, then a cut down 'egg box' sapele
door, about 75cms wide by 160 cms long is sitting
on battens on the opposite wall and hangs under the fire
door which it uses to support its 'window' end. The egg box
'desk' is surprisingly strong, though I haven't tested it
with my weight, and don't intend to. Being sapele it has
finished edges unlike egg box doors intended to be painted.
It came out well with button polish and plenty of elbow
grease.

Both doors were skip-dives, so quite econonomical other
than time, fittings and rubbing down, fettling and
finishing.

All the timber sections in yours go the same way which
means the bit under the window is potentially weaker. Is
there something below to support it ?. Is this solid
wood or does it have a strong chipboard core or some
sort of laminated construction ?