IMM

Default Tonight's Property Ladder, Channel 4

"al" wrote in message
"Julian Fowler" wrote in message
Of which London has what to any appreciable level of quality?
Museums, yes; night buses, maybe. The others listed above have
exactly two characteristics: crap and ludicrously expensive.

Oh you're so so badly wrong there. If you live here, let me suggest some
proper places to eat and drink. If you don't, might I suggest when you
visit you find some friends who can show you decent places to go? And I'm
sorry, but the price thing don't wash either unless you're doing the

tourist
runs around the Palace and Westminster and eating ice-creams at 5 times

the
price! An Indian (abour £10 a head without drink), Chinese (about £13 a
head without drink) or kebab (about £5 a head without drink) costs the

same
here as anywhere else in the "country" where I've tried it and is 9 times
out of ten WAY WAY better food! Those prices are sit-in prices for full
meals in proper restaurants - not plastic tabled holes!

So true. I know many well priced restaurants in London, but you have to know
where they are.

The sad thing is that so few of those who live in London actually
realize what a third-rate city they are inhabiting (compared to, say,
Paris, or Berlin, or Rome, or Milan, or Madrid, or Lisbon, or NYC, or
San Francisco, or Boston, or Toronto, or Montreal, or Sydney, or
Melbourne ... to name a few).

Actually, I've lived here for 5 years, but know London a bit most of my
life. I've spent most of my life, particularly early on, travelling a

great
deal in Europe, North Africa and Asia and have experience with all sorts

of
city types. Every city has people with the same attitudes ... the grass

is
always greener! What would you know about life in Rome if you only visit

as
a tourist? About the same as a tourist visiting London - usually a good
impression, particularly if the culture is very different to what you're
used to.

Paris is a much nicer people friendly city than London. Berlin, SF all have
something London just lacks.

Every country has corrupt politicians, crime and pollution
problems. Mind you ... not all cities have smart arses like Ken

Livingstone
who want to turn an entire region (within the M25) into a congestion

charge
zone!!!! Grrrrr .....

I love Ken. He is fab! He is the only one attempting to make London a kind
of people friendly place. His aim is to make the quality of life of the
people much better. the problem with London is that those who made the most
money from it lived in villages in Surrey and couldn't give a hoot about the
place. Ken want those who prosper most from London to be Londoners (those
that live there).

If you want your small town car driving, go to a small town.

OTOH I'm very glad that those who have this bizarre liking for London
prefer to stay there -- I'm sure it makes the rest of the country much
more pleasant for the rest of us :-)

I could say the same - I'm glad the country keeps it's high percentage of
close-minded people with their boring lives (vast generalisation statement
over now!!). Swings & roundabouts mate ... London has more than its fair
share of w**kers and the country has its fair share of Deliverance style
freaks! In the country I would just have to travel too far to get to all
the things I like. In London or any other large city they're on my
doorstep - and if you know the place properly they don't cost any more
either!

Houses on the other hand (to bring the topic back round to the original
reason!) are bloody ridiculous here. I live just outside of London near

the
end of a tube line so I can have a proper house with a proper garden

(first
time buyer 1 year ago!) and still get into Oxford Street in 35 mins on the
tube. For the same money in say Northampton, I could have another bedroom
or two and be detached.

And the place would be twice as big.

But I certainly don't live in a slum like most
people think Londoners (even non-central ones) do.

London has some awful dilapidated property. Whole areas of it. It amazes me
when the London based press have a go at Liverpool. They really must have
selective amnesia when looking around London. Or are these the Surrey
villages who only see the City rail stations and their own village?

---