Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer sound query

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I have a mid price headset that works very
well indeed. Decent mic and decent earphones
for speech. But I don't want to use one for Zoom stuff.

I am of the same mind. Thanks for that, and your other recent thoughts.

Playing my comparison recording through my AV setup produced a very
different result: both the Logitech and the cheap separate mic sounded
perfectly acceptable, and the sound from the older webcam mic was thin
and bodiless. Which strongly suggests that the weak link in the chain
for my main PC is the playback: the main-board audio circuitry, or the
speakers. I don't know which of the two would produce the most obvious
improvement if upgraded.

The levels, of course, are different. The first being the loudest, as well
as the only 'clean' audio. The second is not only quieter, but has a very
annoying buzz. The third downright noisy (hiss). Low output is a common
symptom of an old electret capsule.

Without the hiss and buzz, all would be perfectly acceptable for Zoom
meetings, set to the correct level.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.