Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave W[_2_] Dave W[_2_] is offline

Default Computer sound query

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 18:39:51 -0000, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

I've uploaded a 28 second WAV file with a sample recording from all three
microphones currently available to me: the Logitech webcam, the separate
cheapo desktop mic, and the mic in my old (low grade video) webcam.

In each instance I was speaking at the same level and at roughly the same
distance. Recording made in Audacity with the mic input control at maximum
(and the recorded level startlingly low). I've done nothing to clean up or
alter the recordings, since what I'm after is a decent sound quality for
live Zoom chatting.

If anyone would be kind enough to listen I'd be grateful for any thoughts.

http://bertcoules.co.uk/non%20websit...rch%202021.wav

I've just listened to this on my laptop without using headphones. The
two webcam mics sound far away as you might expect. The desktop mic
sounds nearer as you might expect and has more high frequency
response, but also has some strange repeating buzzing interference.

The second webcam shows more background noise - maybe it's less
directional than the first.

I favour a lapel mic for Zooming, as there is no background noise plus
being nearer my mouth and further from the laptop speakers there's
less chance of feedback. Also room acoustics don't detract. I don't
use headphones now as my laptop speakers are a bit quiet and I don't
get any feedback.

However, one person in my Zoom crowd had to be asked to wear
headphones, because without them, when anybody else spoke, we all got
a delayed version back from his setup making it difficult to
understand. Maybe he had loud speakers.
--
Dave W