Chuck Yerkes

Default Audio Wiring Estimate

Fiber Optic wrote:
A contractor is quoting me $100 per location for running 16 gauge audio
wiring in my new home which is being built by the main contractor. A
"location" is basically a single room, with two speaker locations, a
volume control location, and wiring all locations to one central location.

Only the wiring is included, not the volume control knobs.

I have 12 locations which turns out to be $1200.

Does this sound reasonable?

I need to ask the contractor if conduit can be installed as well for
future wiring changes/updates. I'm hoping this does not affect the cost
too much.

The thing is he's got a monopoly. And builders make money doing
this.

If you take it to news:comp.home.automation, you'll find the
standard mantra is if you can prewire, a couple cat5, 1-2 coax
to 2 opposite walls on each room covers you well (Cat5 runs phone
just fine). 2 coax in a tv room (eg. throw the DVD signal up to
plug it into your bedroom tv).

At the least, a conduit from upstairs to downstairs is a Good Thing.

Speaker? I use zip cord (lamp cord) for speakers. You'd want
something rated for in-wall, but 16gauge is fine. Have enough wires.
2pair goes to the wall for Vol control, then 1 pair each to the
end place.

If you're going to run 12 pair of speakers, you'll be dropping $3k on
amplifiers that can do that, easily - likely more.