Bob Urz

Default Audio Wiring Estimate

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

"Fiber Optic" wrote in message
news:MXJHc.894$sj.412@lakeread02...

A contractor is quoting me $100 per location for running 16 gauge audio
wiring in my new home which is being built by the main contractor. A
"location" is basically a single room, with two speaker locations, a
volume control location, and wiring all locations to one central location.

Only the wiring is included, not the volume control knobs.

I have 12 locations which turns out to be $1200.

Does this sound reasonable?

I need to ask the contractor if conduit can be installed as well for
future wiring changes/updates. I'm hoping this does not affect the cost
too much.

Any help appreciated.
Chris

Suggest using 70.7v wiring, home run.....22 ga will pass more total watts
that way.

70 volt wiring is commonly used in distributed sound systems in business
and churches. It is NOT commonly used in home systems. Mainly because
the home theater type amps a lot of these use do NOT have 70 volt
speaker outputs. With the proper commercial type 70 v output amps it
could be done.

You are correct, you can use a smaller gauge wire on a 70 volt type
system. But the amps on the front end and distribution may cost you
more. Of course with 12 locations it could skew the equation.
Is there a speaker in the toilet lid?

There are many custom home theater manufacturers that make multi channel
straight impedance amps for applications such as this. Along with a key
pad in each room that can control volume and select the source for that
room only. Now were talking the big bucks. You pay for what you get.

The bottom line here is you pick the front end, and then put in the type
of wiring and speakers to match.

Bob