Bob Urz

Default Audio Wiring Estimate

ameijers wrote:
"Fiber Optic" wrote in message
news:MXJHc.894$sj.412@lakeread02...

A contractor is quoting me $100 per location for running 16 gauge audio
wiring in my new home which is being built by the main contractor. A
"location" is basically a single room, with two speaker locations, a
volume control location, and wiring all locations to one central location.

Only the wiring is included, not the volume control knobs.

I have 12 locations which turns out to be $1200.

Does this sound reasonable?

I need to ask the contractor if conduit can be installed as well for
future wiring changes/updates. I'm hoping this does not affect the cost
too much.

If the walls are still open, sounds damn steep to me. I'd buy a couple reels
of lamp cord (of a thicker gauge), and run it myself for a couple hundred.

And why do you think that stereo wiring does not have to comply with the
NEC also? The wire needs to have a fire rated jacket to be run in walls
without conduit. Most zip cord is NOT listed for this purpose.
You can buy proper jacketed cord for this purpose though. IT should have
a rating of CM, CMR, CMP, CL2, CL3 or such on it. Home chepo may even
have it. Any good electronics sound contractor will have it or have
access to it.

Home prewire can be a pain. depending on the other trades, it may not be
a one trip install for the installer. And that guys has to have
insurance and overhead too. $100 may be expensive or cheap depending on
where you are.

Now if this is a last-minute add-in on your part, and the walls are already
rocked and mudded, it doesn't sound that unreasonable. Fishing and slotting
and patching drywall are all a PITA.

Amen to that.

Bob
aem sends....