Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 'Right to repair' law to come in this summer

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 22:08, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 10/03/2021 13:49, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 March 2021 at 13:44:40 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/03/2021 12:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 10/03/2021 12:39, mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 09:43:47 +0000, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 10/03/2021 08:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077

Will this make any practical difference?

Hopefully.

Apple needs to change its ways.

Making their batteries user replaceable would be a start.

Making all parts third party replaceable as well.

Apple is now locking part compatibility in software, you need to be
an
authorized Apple Tech to make major part changes to a device.
Perhaps the tax regime should be different for manufacturers like
apple,
where a super VAT band is introduced for ones not conforming.

There is no point in forcing Apple to conform, where the alternative
is
that they, or perhaps their users, pay handsomely for the privilege.

Not very practical. Of course you could apply this to things lioke
car types that are dumped, you have to get the old ones repaied new
tyres have a 100% VAT put on them.

Are you suggesting a manufacturer would make their tyres irreparable? I
don't get your point?

I didnt the first time I read it, but do now. He is suggesting
that we should be encouraged to retread tyres by having a
100% VAT on new ones. Clearly he doesnt own a car.

I see, if it save resources then I don't see the issue in a 100% duty.

I do when only fools use retread car tyres anymore.

However, old tyres do have alternative uses,

Yeah, slum dwellers sometimes use them to keep the roof on.
https://www.alamy.com/slums-in-sweet...150353732.html

such as tiles.

And some very rugged flip flops/sandals in the 3rd world.

Not all go to landfill.

Practicalities of custom and practice, and of course safety will always
feature.